The better you are able to package your skills( present yourself) – the more likely hood that you will find a buyer( employer) for them.
So if you agree that Job Search is like a Marketing Campaign -then you should be have a strategy in place.
This is not to scare you. Strategy is not some hallowed word to be used only by the Ivy League’rs. You need a general plan as to how you intend to go about it. And Job search is effectively a full time Job.
A list of things you need to do on a day to day basis will keep you focused on task and give you results faster. A stop and start approach will make you loose morale pretty soon.
So here a few tips to clear the first hurdle – the call for Interview –
When sending resumes
- Apply endlessly. Preferably keep a daily target of 5 applications.
- Call and Follow up. Reach the board line and speak to the receptionist. Get her name and refer to her in your cover letter. for ex -“Dear Sir/Madam, “I got your reference from Geeta at the reception. …… ” These are small ways to differentiate yourself. If you can get the name of the Hiring Manager – that would be even better.
- Meet as many people as possible. Network, Network, Network. Attend any and every Networking event possible. Share your number with people and ask them for references.
- Try to attend any HR Networking events happening in your area.
- Please rehearse your pitch. When the moment arises you should be able to confidently give a brief pitch about what you can offer a prospective employer. That shows a level of preparation and eagerness. Being shy or searching for words does’nt help in that moment.
- Get involved in some kind of social service – in your neighbourhood or some NGO.( keeps you in touch with people and builds contacts)
- Join with your friends and undertake a project.
- Get some Training on technical or Softskills. Business Communication, Presentation , Interviewing skills – all are useful tools to have at work.
Take responsibility for your situation and use this as an excellent learning experience.
All the Best